Friday, January 9, 2009

Just one more (hand shaking slightly)

I'm not getting that "no treats" mile today. We're going to HSM on Ice tonight at 7:30 so I'm probably not going to get that "not eating after 7 pm" mile either. I had a really bad day yesterday so I'm not getting the "no caffiene" mile either. Does fake yellow popcorn count as eating out? Cause if it does, I'll probably lose that mile as well! Hmm I might just have to exercise to get some miles in today!

Now back to the lost no treats mile. When Moga lived here and DeMott was in Iraq she would send him care packages of cookies. She would look up new and different recipes whip up a batch and send them away. She usually made extras and we got to share in the wealth of the care packages.

One of the several times she did this she made some ginger cookies. I'm not really a fan of Ginger Snaps or Gingerbread but out of curiosity I tried one, and like they say you only need to do something once to get hooked. These cookies are so super yummy I'm losing free miles just for them.

Ginger Snap Cookies
Submitted by: Kathleen Dickerson
Rated: 5 out of 5 by 47 members
Yields: 48 servings
"These use fresh ginger and candied ginger."
INGREDIENTS:
1 1/2 cups unsalted butter
2 cups packed brown sugar
1/2 cup molasses
2 eggs
4 1/2 cups unbleached all-
purpose flour
4 teaspoons ground ginger
4 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons grated fresh
ginger
1 cup chopped crystallized
ginger
DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Cream the butter and the brown sugar until fluffy. Add molasses and eggs and mix well.
3. Combine flour, ground ginger, baking soda and salt and add to butter mixture. Blend in fresh and candied ginger. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto parchment covered baking sheet, about 2 inches apart. Bake about 10 minutes, or until lightly golden. Cool.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2009 Allrecipes.com Printed from Allrecipes.com 1/9/2009

Once I ate all the extras and had her make another batch the next week we dubbed them the "crack cookies". I use whole wheat flour instead of white and not all the butter it calls for just 1 cup, not 1.5. Be careful after you make them once you might find yourself craving these delicious little bits of addictiveness over and over again!

2 comments:

Hillary said...

Oh good. I thought i was going to be so far behind since I fell off the wagon today as well... I made cookies and haven't exercised. We're having a pizza party tonight at my place so the after 7 is definitely out for me. Have fun tonight :)

Karen Valinda said...

Moga did these to us at Christmas time! I wiped out the unguarded ones... that means any that weren't tightly in someone else's fist!
xoxoxox