Sunday, July 20, 2008

Before, Middle and After

Labor day 2006 we gutted my kitchen, replaced cabinets, counters, and created an island. Things got to a certain "finished" point and have remained that way until yesterday.

My BIL asked if he could do us a handy man favor in return for ElCid doing their taxes a few years in a row. My BIL is a financial planner by profession but is very good with a hammer and wet saw too.

Here is what my island looked like (I remembered the before pictures!) for nearly 2 years. Yes, it was cleared of all the junk that belonged there as well as quite a bit that didn't.

Part of the reason why it wasn't ever finished is that I'm scared to make a choice and then hate it later. I didn't know if I wanted an eating surface, or if I wanted it to be tile or laminate or, or, or. When BIL showed up Friday night the time to be wishy washy was OVER! We discussed my ideas, what was possible or not and what the budget and environmental impact would be. I liked the idea of a spectator/eating surface but I wanted it to be on a different level. Lower wasn't an option so we went up 8 inches. I decided I wanted tile and wainscoting around the edges. And the adventure began.

Here are the middle pictures, the wall being built and ElCid laying down on the job, so the backer board wouldn't wiggle.


Picking tile was painful, mostly because my kids were having tag team screaming fits. I found a natural slate I really liked and it came in several varieties so I could make a cool design. After working until 2:30 am-ish we were done! Well as done as it will be today.

Here is what it looks like!!!


It is 97% done, the sides and back will be painted the same color as the walls and the top needs to be sealed, grouted and then sealed again. Okay so maybe it's 90% done, either way it looks good. I love the colors but the box said you could pick a sealer that would darken the colors some and I think I'm going to go with that.

Well now that I've posted that, I'm off to have a nap. I had to be up at 7 to take back the wet saw, ElCid got pretty good at cutting stone. :)

6 comments:

Safire said...

Looks great!!

Zanne said...

YAY! YAY! YAY! It looks awesome. I'm sure it is going to feel good to walk into your kitchen and see it all finished.

Jessica the Jacked LDS said...

That is so pretty!!! I love the slate tile and how some of them are rounded egdes. They did a really great job, perfect for entertaining...speaking of which, when are you inviting me over?

Karen Valinda said...

I want to come eat at your new breakfast counter! It looks great Ddonn! And I am sure it will make it harder for people to clutter it now ;-}

xoxoxox

redheadsmom said...

I love that it won't stay white!

Jessica the Jacked LDS said...

*cough* time out *cough*