Wednesday, July 8, 2009

10 years??

Today on the news they announced it had been 10 years since we had a serious flood here in the Vegas Valley. It caught me off guard because that flood happened right after we moved here.

Living in the Pacific Northwest did not prepare me at all for the amount of rain that could fall out of the sky in such a short amount of time. There was a mobile home park that got hit hard and at least one trailer fell into the wash.

Several years later when Fred and Jr were both alive it rained hard again. We got 3 inches in about an hour and a half. My family didn't think that sounded so bad but it's actually three fourths the average rainfall. Even Nan had to agree that if Tacoma got 30 inches of rain (3/4 the yearly average) in 2 hours it would flood there too.

I was born in Tacoma and lived there until I was nearly 5. I lived in several states until I was 9 and then lived in Kansas for 4 years. From 13 to nearly 18 I lived in Tacoma again. *Sigh* I've REALLY lived in Vegas longer than anywhere else and as you all know there is no end in sight. I know I should stop whining, at least I'm not moving every other year. :)

7 comments:

An Wanna said...

I've still liver in Tacoma longer than anywhere else. Like what 4 years (cuz we got Wil in Oregon when I was 4) then from 12-21 (well minus those like 6 weeks). So I haven't lived in Tacoma the majority but more than any one other place...

Sandra Huntsman said...

I totally remember that! I was just barely pregnant with Chloe - I didn't even know it yet. I did hair and makeup for a bride at the Bellagio and then went to visit Ilona. I decided to go home before the storm was too bad. Steve was working, but got rained out so went to our apartment on Buffalo and Summerlin Parkway. Once I realized how bad it was, I decided to go to the in-laws house because we were house sitting. When I got to Charleston and Lamb, the whole intersection was completely flooded. Fortunately, I was in our Rodeo, so I could actually make it through the intersection. It was CHAOS! I called Steve, told him where I was, and he was watching me ON THE NEWS! Driving down the road was like driving in a river.

I was supposed to go to work at the Meadows Mall (Glamour Shots) and I called the manager to tell her there was no way I was driving in. She was all flippant an rude, then called me back 1/2 an hour later to let me know they were closing the mall. Good times!

Karen Valinda said...

I read your post and was like "What IS she smoking? We lived in Tacoma 7! years before moving away... then it occurred to me, oh yeah, She was conceived in Tacoma 5 months after we moved there... and then took almost 9 months to join us ;-}
Tacoma Sep '77 - Mar '78
Rogue River/Grants Pass Mar-?Aug '78
Tacoma ?Aug '78 - June '84 (6yr9mo)
Grants Pass June '84 - Apr '85
Elk City May - Oct '85
Grangeville Oct '85 - June '86
Garland July - Aug '86
Ogden Aug '86 - Mar '88
Basehor Mar '88 - July '91
Elk City Jul-Aug '91
Tacoma Aug '91 - Sep '05 (14yr1mo)
of course you left for BYU Aug '96
WHEW ! ! !
Now I am too tired to unpack the kitchen... wait til AnWanna finds out yeesh! I'll be in trouble ;-Þ
xoxoxox

Zanne said...

I remember you saying that you didn't want your kids to have to move around a lot like you did, so you got your wish, and Vegas has been good to your family. But yeah, it doesn't feel like 10 years...that means I got my ears re-pierced 10 years ago...cuz you talked me into it as part of our last hurrah before your move to Vegas...and I look so good in earrings. :P

The nice thing is that since you spent a majority of your minor years in Tacoma, compared to the other places you lived, you can always refer to it as the place you are originally from...and it's a great place to claim.

Kathy said...

Well, I got you beat hands-down! I have lived in Sunny So. Utah for 22 years and 5 months. Kinda sad when you think about it.

Valinda said...

Uhm Kathy, I dunno if that is something I'd be telling people.

El Cid said...

Now that this post is out there, I'll be expecting another peanut butter flood anytime.