Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Seven Daughters and Seven Sons


I don't remember how I came across this book, I'm sure it was in a library :), in Tacoma. Ahhh the Tacoma Library system, now that was something I totally took for granted, along with PT. There are Libraries in Vegas they are just few and far between.

Anyhow enough about the Library. This is one of those questionable kind of stories like Mulan. A girl dressed as a boy runs away from home and she likes a guy and he can't figure out why he likes "him".

Buran the heroine lives in the middle east when Iraq, Saudi Arabia and Iran weren't as defined as they are now. I like this book because Buran is so brave and confident. She leaves home with hardly any money trying to help out her family. (spoiler alert) She makes a fortune, saves her family and wins the man she loves in an era when women weren't hardly valued as people. She also gets in a nice twist of revenge on her awful extended family which my vengeful side really enjoys!

I think I like this topic, it's giving me lots of ideas of books for Fred to read.

1 comment:

Karen Valinda said...

You would like "The Lance of Kanana" I don't know if it is in print tho'. Although it is about a boy who really is a boy ;-}
I haven't read this one, amazing, eh? Have to look for it here xoxoxox